Pedagogical Model tools
The Pedagogical Model is established for professionals involved in the educational relationship with persons with severe Down syndrome and other intellectual disabilities.
The Pedagogical Model aims to develop the new concept of the professionals work and the relationship of professionals to people with severe Down syndrome or other intellectual disabilities. The conceptno longer assumes, as its central element, the disability but rather the dignity of each human being, as proclaimed in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights:
- “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights …” (art. 1);
- “Everyone is entitled to all the rights and freedoms set forth in this Declaration, without distinction of any kind …” (art. 2);
- “Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of person” (art. 3).
The other key actors of the relationship are the professionals, the caretakers, assistants, escorts and mentors. The new attitude which is necessary in the support of intellectually disabled persons in their as far as possibleindependent lives is a form of education, which is the ensemble of the care and every day activities aimed at stimulating and orienting the growth/development process of social integration and cultural transmission. Professionals can reach higher consciousness and avoid burnout by the application of the innovative educational assistance and care taking.
The INV Pedagogical tool-battery includes tools for professionals and tools for intellectually disabled persons.
Tools for assessing and evaluating professionals' development:
- Self-observation Register
- Self-evaluation tools
Tools for assessing, planning and following intellectually disabled persons' development:
- Entrance sheet: assessment in the beginning
- Individual educational project
- Observation sheets: assessment during the project.
|Initial survey of the intellectually disabled person|
|Observation of the development|
|Individual educational project|